My Family

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

FAIR AND FESTIVAL SEASON

Festival season is kicking into high gear and I'm so excited.  I'm going to try to make it to some new ones as well as the ones I enjoyed from last season.  Of course I was not living in NC last spring so most of the spring fairs and festivals are new to me.  We started off Saturday by going to the Newport, NC Pig Cookoff http://www.newportpigcooking.com.

It was a very nice day to walk around checking out the crafts and checking out the large cookers that they were cooking the pigs on.

Our Pork Dinner
 The pork dinner was pretty good even though I'm not real crazy about the vinegar base sauces.  I'm more for the ketchup base sauces.  I know it may sound funny but I mix my baked beans with the pork so it taste more like the ketchup base.

We listened to the band for awhile.  They were sounding pretty good, now I think Greg would look good in the blue suit but I think Isabella would pick the zebra jacket for Grandpa.  What do you think?

The Donald Thompson Band

There also was an Elvis Impersonator singing so of course I had to check him out.  I was told that he had been doing this for many years...I think it's time to retire.  I know I'm a hard judge on impersonator's but I have been spoiled by seeing some really talented singers over the years.  His voice was not very strong and it was hard to hear a lot of his words.  He also was not very engaging with the crowd and didn't seem to be able to move much.  After judging the Elvis Impersonator's contest in Memphis I look at them in a much different way then most.
Ryder Preston
They had trophey's for the top 10 teams.


We met some friends there and had a really nice day.  The only disappointment was when they were announcing the winners.  The mayor was giving out the awards and it looked like they just put him up there and he had not idea what to do.  Nothing against the mayor but they need someone who is a better mc.  They needed to tell the audience how many people were in the contest.  Talk about them more and how they cook the pigs.  They also needed to make a bigger deal when announcing the top three spots.  Make it a little more exciting for everyone.  The last thing is their website, as of today they still have not listed the winners for 2011. The website is not very exciting for someone new trying to find out information.  I actually find this with many fair and festival sites I look at. 

Till next time....
Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment