My Family

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Twilight Chicken with Rice and Mushrooms

This recipe came from the Duplin winery and uses their Twilight sweet white wine.  But I'm sure any sweet white wine will do.  I typed the recipe as they have it but made some changes. The changes I made I put in bold. We really like this recipe, hope you will too.

2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups leeks, thinly sliced  ( I did not use the leeks, instead I cut up 3 green onions)
1 medium tomato, chopped ( I did not use the tomato)
1/2 cup Duplin's Twilight wine
6oz instant long grain & wild rice mix (I used Rice-a-roni long grain & wild rice without the seasonings)
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped

Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.   Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6-7 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet.  Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, and leek.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender and golden, about 12 minutes.  Add the tomato and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the Twilight wine and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.

Add the rice mix, stirring to coat the grains.  Return the chicken to the skillet.  Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is tender, and the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.  Remove the skillet from the heat and serve sprinkled with the parsley.


*At first I didn't think the box of Rice-a-roni was going to be enough, but it is once the dish is done.

Till next time...

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment